How to Incorporate Green Infrastructure into Asset Management Planning
Green Infrastructure Ontario, in partnership with Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA), is offering a webinar series focused on green infrastructure (GI) asset management planning.
This three-part series introduces green infrastructure and asset management planning, and then delves into inventorying and valuing green infrastructure, including developing an asset register and valuing assets to understand the state of municipal infrastructure.
Webinar 1: Introduction to Green Infrastructure and Asset Management Planning
Learn concepts needed to understand green infrastructure and ecosystem services and how these topics relate to municipal asset management planning.
Webinar 2: Inventorying and Valuing Green Infrastructure Assets – Part 1
Participants will learn how to set up a GI classification scheme, which key attributes should be included, and more.
Webinar 3: Inventorying and Valuing Green Infrastructure Assets – Part 2
In this continuation of Webinar 2, participants will delve deeper into GI asset management classification, understand valuation approaches, and more.
If you’ve missed the webinar series and want to find out when we’re running it again, or have any other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
WEBINAR 1: Introduction to Green Infrastructure and Asset Management Planning
This introductory webinar explores the core concepts needed to understand green infrastructure and ecosystem services and how these topics relate to asset management planning.
It also provides an overview of asset management planning and the Ontario Regulation 588/17: Asset Management Planning for Municipal Infrastructure. Participants will learn how asset management planning can help to support the management of green infrastructure so that it continues to provide critical ecosystem services for municipalities.
After completing Webinar 1, you will be able to:
- Describe green infrastructure (GI) and the different types of GI
- Understand how GI supports the provision of ecosystem services
- Relate the concepts of GI, municipal assets, and municipal services
- Explain the purpose of asset management planning
- Identify the four main stages of asset management planning
- Understand where green infrastructure asset management planning does and does not relate to ecosystem service valuations
- Explain how incorporating GI into asset management planning can support positive outcomes for the management of GI
WEBINAR 2: Inventorying and Valuing Green Infrastructure Assets - Part 1
The first stage of asset management planning is developing an asset register and inventorying assets to understand the state of municipal infrastructure.
This module, presented as two webinars, explores how to set up a green infrastructure classification scheme, and considers which key attributes should be stored within the asset register, including asset quantity, age/condition, and value.
It also delves into detail about different asset valuation approaches and where they are most useful, and identifies some possible software platforms for the asset register.
Participants should note that this content is continued on Webinar 3: Inventorying and valuing green infrastructure assets – Part 2.
WEBINAR 2 TOPICS
- Overview of the asset inventory/state of infrastructure
- Asset classification systems and application to GI
- Typical attributes recorded in the asset inventory: physical, financial, and condition
- Measuring asset quantity, age, and condition for GI assets
WEBINAR 3: Inventorying and Valuing Green Infrastructure Assets - Part 2
This webinar is a continuation from Webinar 2: Inventorying and Valuing Green Infrastructure Assets – Part 1. Participants will continue to build their understanding of asset management planning.
WEBINAR 3 TOPICS
- Purpose of asset valuation
- Overview of valuation approaches
- Link valuation approaches to different asset management planning stages
- Detailed discussion of current replacement cost, use of benchmark costs, and the application of this method to GI
- Software platforms for the asset register
WEBINAR 2 & 3 LEARNING OUTCOMES
After completing Webinars 2 and 3, you will be able to:
- Explain what an asset register and inventory is
- Develop a sample asset classification scheme for GI
- List the key information which should be provided for state of infrastructure reporting as required by the O. Reg. 588/17
- Understand different valuation approaches and how each relates to asset management planning
- Understand how the replacement cost method can be applied to assess value of GI
- Identify some ways in which GI condition can be assessed
- Identify software platforms that can be used as an asset register for GI