Private Property Incentive Programs:
The Water Research Foundation has published new research to help identify ways to incentivize the installation of green infrastructure on private property. Six incentive programs were recommended to help promote private uptake of green infrastructure:
- Stormwater fee discounts
- Rebates and cost-share programs
- Grant programs for 100% cost coverage
- Development and redevelopment incentives such as expedited permitting, and reduced grey infrastructure requirements
- Awards and recognition programs
- Stormwater credit trading programs
To read more, check out the report here.
Accounting for Trees in Stormwater modelling:
A new report out of the Centre for Watershed Protection looks at how the benefits of treed areas can be accounted for in runoff and pollutant load reduction models. The report looks at the most common models used by site designers and stormwater engineers and discusses how to account for effects of trees in four ways: interception, evapotranspiration, infiltration or a combination of these. Read the full report to see how the models you use on a regular basis could be modified to incorporate the benefits of urban trees.